For my google scholar page, which has many abstracts and some full text pdfs etc., click here.
My research focuses on the comparative analysis of anti-corruption and decentralization strategies in Asia, and the globalization of public policy education. I am on the editorial board of Policy & Society, the Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis, Fulbright Review of Economics and Public Policy, KIPA Public Policy Review, and Policy Design and Practice.
Books and edited volumes
- Johnston, M. and Fritzen S. The Conundrum of Corruption: Reform for Social Justice. New York: Routledge, 194 pp. (in press)
- Wu, X., Howlett, M., Ramesh, M. and Fritzen, S. (2018) The Public Policy Primer: Managing the Policy Process. London: Routledge, 120 pp.
- Araral E., Fritzen S., Howlett M., Ramesh M., and Wu X. (eds) (2015) Routledge Handbook of Public Policy. London: Routledge.
- Fritzen, S. (ed.) (2012-13) ERN Public Policy Centers Research Paper Series, NYU Wagner School of Public Service, Volumes 3-5 (4 issues).
- Fritzen, S., Serritzlew, S. and Svendsen, G. (eds.) (2014) Special Edition: Corruption, Trust and Comparative Public Policy.Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis: Research and Practice. 16(2): March 2014.
- Mahbubani K., Yiannouka S., Fritzen S., Tuminez A. and Tan K.P. (2012) The Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy: Building a Global Policy School in Asia. Singapore: World Scientific Press, 208 pp.
- Ramesh, M. and Fritzen, S. (eds) (2009) Transforming Asian Governance, London: Routledge, 300 pp.
- Kumar, V. and Fritzen, S. (eds) (2004) Social Security in a Developing World Context, New Delhi: Serials Publications, 350 pp.
Refereed journal articles
- Fritzen, S. & J. Fritzen. Corruption frames in China’s emerging print media. Manuscript under review.
- Fritzen, S. Strategic management in international aid bureaucracies: The donor-decentralization gap reconsidered. Manuscript under review.
- Fritzen, S. and S. Basu. The public is plural: Local governments in public-private partnerships. Manuscript under review.
- Fritzen, S. & J. Patrick Dobel. (2018) Transforming corrupt systems: What have we learned? Public Integrity S1:60-73.
- Bui T., S. Fritzen, Le M., Doan T., Duong M. (2014) Policy processes underpinning universal health insurance in Vietnam. Global Health Action 7:24928.
- Fritzen, S., Serritzlew, S. and Svendsen, G. (2014) Corruption, Trust and Their Public-Sector Consequences. Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis: Research and Practice16(2):117-120.
- Fritzen, S. and S. Basu (2011) The strategic use of information in anti-corruption agencies: Evidence from the Asia-Pacific Region. International Journal of Public Administration 31(14): 893-904
- Fritzen, S. (2010) Envisioning public administration as a scholarly field in the year 2020: Toward global and comparative administrative theorizing. Public Administration Review(70), supplemental.
- Fritzen, S. (2007) Public Policy Education Goes Global: A Multidimensional Challenge. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management27(1): 205-214.
- Fritzen, S. (2007) Crafting performance measurement systems to reduce corruption vulnerabilities in complex, multistakeholder organizations: The case of the World Bank. Measuring Business Excellence11(4): 23-32.
- Fritzen, S. (2007) Discipline or democratize? Patterns of bureaucratic accountability in Southeast Asia. International Journal of Public Administration 30: 1435–1457.
- Munira, S.L. and Fritzen, S. (2007) What influences government adoption of new vaccines in developing countries? A policy process approach. Social Science & Medicine65: 1751-1764.
- Fritzen, S. (2007) Can the design of community-driven development reduce the risk of elite capture? Evidence from Indonesia. World Development 35(8): 1359-1375.
- Fritzen, S. (2007) Legacies of Primary Health Care in an era of health sector reform: Vietnam’s commune clinics in transition. Social Science & Medicine 64: 1611-1623.
- Fritzen, S. (2007) Linking context and strategy in donor support for decentralization: A diagnostic framework. Public Administration and Development 27: 13-25.
- Fritzen, S. (2007) Reorienting health ministry roles in transition settings: Capacity and strategy gaps. Health Policy83: 73-83.
- Fritzen, S. (2007) Strategic management of the health workforce in developing countries: What have we learned? Human Resources for Health5(4): 1-10.
- Fritzen, S and C. Brassard (2007) Multilevel assessments for better targeting of the poor: An analytical framework. Progress in Development Studies7(2): 99-113.
- Fritzen, S. and C. Brassard (2006) Bat Binh Dang va Nhung Lua Chon Chinh Sach [Inequality: A Policy Assessment], Hoat Dong Khoa Hoc[Science Activities Review], 47(2): 57-60. [Vietnamese journal published by Ministry of Science and Technology]
- Fritzen, S. (2006) Probing system limits: Decentralisation and local political accountability in Vietnam, Asia Pacific Journal of Public Administration28(1): 1-24.
- Fritzen, S. (2006) Beyond ‘political will’: How institutional context shapes the implementation of anti-corruption policies, Policy & Society, 24(3): 79-96.
- Fritzen, S. (2003) Escaping the low income – low social protection trap in developing countries: What are the options? Indian Journal of Social Development, 3(2): 14-32.
- Fritzen, S. (2002) Growth, inequality and the future of poverty reduction in Vietnam. Journal of Asian Economics13: 653-657.
- Fritzen, S. (forthcoming) Anti-Corruption Agencies: The Search for Effectiveness and Impact. In Oxford Encyclopedia of International Criminology (eds: Erez, E. and P. Ibarra)
- M. Howlett, I. Mukherjee and S. Fritzen. (2018) Challenges Associated with Implementing Climate Adaptation Policy. Chapter in Research Handbook on Climate Change Adaptation Policy (eds: Carina Kestikalo and Benjamin Preston). Edward Elgar, Cheltenham.
- Fritzen, S. (2018) Public Administration in an Age of ‘Good Governance’. Chapter in Contemporary Southeast Asia: The Politics of Change, Contestation and Adaptation (eds: Ba, A. and Beeson, M.). London: Palgrave. pp. 49-69.
- Basu, S. and S. Fritzen (2013) Government corruption and transparency. In Encyclopedia of Global Social Issues (ed: James Ciment), London: M.E.Sharpe
- Fritzen, S. and S. Basu (2011) From information to indicators: Monitoring progress in the fight against corruption in multi-project, multi-stakeholder organizations. In Handbook of Global Research and Practice in Corruption(eds: Adam Graycar and Russell Smith); London: Edward Elgar.
- Fritzen, S. and Wu, X. (2010) Conclusion: Contradictions, contingencies and the terrain ahead. in Reasserting the Public in Public Services: New Public Management Reforms, Routledge.
- Fritzen, S. (2009) Introduction. In Transforming Asian Governance (ed: Scott Fritzen and M. Ramesh); London: Routledge, 19 pp.
- Fritzen, S. (2009) Public Administration. In Southeast Asia: Regional Dynamics, National Differences (ed: Mark Beeson); New York: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 74-90.
- Fritzen, S. (2007) From infrastructure to institutions: Reforming primary health care in Vietnam. In Social Issues in Vietnam’s Economic Transformation: Vol 2 (ed: Giang Thanh Long), Hanoi: National Political Publishing House, pp. 51-86.
- Fuller, B.W. and Fritzen, S. (2007) Negotiation and conflict management: A Public Policy Perspective. Encyclopedia of Public Administration and Public Policy, (ed: J. Rabin), New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc. (online and forthcoming in the second edition print edition, 2007) 8 pp.
- Fritzen, S. (2007) Growth with equity over Vietnam’s economic transition: A political economy perspective, in Y. Shimizu (ed) Economic Dynamics of Asia in the New Millennium, Singapore: World Scientific, pp. 367-399.
- Fritzen, S. and Lim, P.O. (2007) Decentralization in developing countries, Encyclopedia of Public Administration and Public Policy, (ed: J. Rabin), New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc. pp. 498-503.
- Fritzen, S. (2006) How do governance capacities affect patterns of crisis management? Towards an analytical framework, in C. Raj Kumar and D.K. Srivastava (eds) Tsunami and disaster management: Law and Governance, Hong Kong: Sweet and Maxwell, pp. 79-10.
- Fritzen, S. (2005) Teaching Public Policy and Administration: Controversies and Directions, in Jabes, J. (ed) The Role of Public Administration in Alleviating Poverty and Improving Governance,Manila: Asian Development Bank, pp. 571-575.
- Fritzen, S. (2005) The ‘misery’ of implementation: Governance, institutions and anti-corruption in Vietnam, in Tarling, N. (ed) Corruption and good governance in Asia,New York: Routledge, pp. 98-120.
- Fritzen, S. (2004) Crisis policymaking and management in Southeast Asia, Encyclopedia of Public Administration and Public Policy,(ed: J. Rabin), New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc (online and forthcoming in the second edition print edition, 2007), 9 pp.
- Fritzen, S. (2004) Bureaucrats and Politicians in Southeast Asia, Encyclopedia of Public Administration and Public Policy,(ed: J. Rabin), New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc., (online and forthcoming in the second edition print edition, 2007), 9 pp.
- Fritzen, S. (2004) “Introduction” and “Strengthening social protection in low income countries”, in Fritzen, S. and V. Kumar [eds.] (2004),Social security in a developing world context,New Delhi: Serials Publications, pp. 1-17 and 90-108.
- Fritzen, S. (2003) Donors, local development groups and institutional reform over Vietnam’s development decade, in Kerkvliet, B.J., Heng, R.H.K. and Hock, D.K.W. (eds.), Getting organized in Vietnam: Moving in and around the socialist state, Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, pp. 234-270.
- Fritzen, S. (1999) Fiscal Decentralization, Disparities and Innovation in Viet Nam’s Health Sector, in Litvack, J. and D. Rondinelli (eds.), Market reform in Vietnam: Building institutions for development, Westport, CT: Quorum Books, pp. 71-94.
- Fritzen, S. (2000) Local Government Performance and Decentralization: A Comparative Approach With Application to Social Policy Reform in Vietnam, Ph.D. Dissertation, Princeton University
Shorter articles and commentary
- Fritzen, S. (2011) A (global) public policy primer. Global-Is-Asian, July/Sept 2011.
- Fritzen, S. (2009) From ‘good to great’ in global public policy education. Global-Is-Asian, July/Sept 2009 editorial.
- Fritzen, S. (2005) Short-duration, high-intensity executive education: Mission impossible? Center for the Development of Teaching and LearningCDTLink, Vol 9(2), cover story.